I have initiated contact with Ms. Nichols, the Women Studies Librarian at Oregon State University, in regards to my research paper on Dr. Woo.
Despite the fact that she has just been inducted into the Women in Technology International (WITI)hall of fame, I realize that there is not much information available about Dr. Woo. She does however hold 13 different patents on semiconductor design processes.
I am in a somewhat unique position, as my undergraduate focus is on semiconductor processes. So, beyond writing a brief summary of her professional career, here are some of the topics I might focus on for this paper:
- Research and explanation of some of her more important patents; what they are and why they are important.
- The role of Taiwanese women (Dr. Woo is an immigrant) in the tech field today
- Potentially examine the role of men (like Dr. Woo’s husband) in child rearing and family management
- The challenges involved for women in the tech industry to:
- Balance work and the needs of their children (Dr. Woo is the married mother of two)
- Balance work and the needs of their marriage
- Potentially examine the role of men (like Dr. Woo’s husband) in child rearing
- find success in a predominantly male industry
I would like to avoid any topics that may be too personal, as I would certainly not want to offend Dr. Woo. Considering how busy she must be, I am doubtful of my chances at securing an interview with Dr. Woo herself anytime soon, but I am open to suggestions about alternative interview candidates that might shed some light on her career.